Wednesday 13 April 2016

Migration hotting up!

The day started on Snakey lane. Lots of birdsong now, which is great. At least 6 Yellowhammers on territory...
 
 
Then it was down to Skeffling. It was a beautiful clear, crisp morning. It was high tide and the shoreline was covered with waders. At least 500 Grey Plover amongst them.
 
As I returned towards the Village I had at least 7 Wheatears in one roadside field...
 
 
In the Village itself a welcome sign of Spring...
 
 
Metallic sheen...
 
 
After lunch I gave it some time on the clifftop in the Village. I managed my first Sand Martins of the year and around a dozen Swallows headed North. Two Song Thrushes were a nice bonus. A couple of Chiffchaffs were the only other birds seen.
 
An earlier report of 3 Ring Ouzels at Sammy's had me heading down there early afternoon. More Wheatears (7) were seen in the horse paddocks plus a distant Yellow Wagtail.
 
I had Sammy's to myself. I worked my way through but nothing of note was seen. Ring Ouzels are decent sized birds but can be elusive and skittish. After around 30 minutes I decided to have a sit down by a bush in the sun and wait. After another 15 I something emerge at the base of a bush...
  
 
Over the next 15 minutes I was treated to crippling views of 3 of these special birds...
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 While I was admiring the thrushes this dapper chap decided to grace me with his presence...
 
Male Redstart
I texted Phil and he joined me in enjoying the spectacle.
 
The Wheatears were still showing well as I returned to the car park...
 
 
Final stop was Holderness Field were I just managed to add Shoveler (4) to my Patch year list...
 
 
 Which reminds me, I better update it!
 

No comments: