Tuesday 3 May 2016

Hoopoe/RBG

Popped up to Flamborough this morning to try for the Hoopoe...and to see my pal Tony Dixon who lives there. As I reached the headland I could see Tony scanning the gardens, he was the only birder there. There was no sign of the bird.
 
After parking the car I re-joined him. He'd moved further towards the seaward end of the road. He told me it'd been seen on the golf course...by the first tee!
 
As we were talking it flew across the road right in front of us. Far to quick for me to photograph. We decided to make our way back to the garden it seemed to be favouring. Sure enough within 5 minutes there it was...
 
There would have been a pic here but my card holder has packed up!
 
We watched it feeding on the lawn for a good 45 minutes before it was flushed by a Herring Gull. I also bumped into Craig Thomas who I hadn't seen for quite a while. We shared holiday stories before he moved on to look for the bird. Good to see him again.
 
I'll post some pics when my new reader arrives.
 
Just received some from Tony...
 
 
 
 
........................................................................
 
MEGA on Shetland - ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK
 
A wonderful bird and a young Spring male to boot!
 
Here's one I saw at High Island, Texas in 2013...
 
 

No comments: