Saturday 7 May 2016

Sammy's

 I was down at Sammy's by 7 after driving through the thick fog! Fortunately the visibility improved...if only slightly. I made my way down to the far end with my four-legged friend passing Rick Swales on the opposite bank. I heard him talking to Mick (Turton) over the radio. Mick had the good news that a few Spotted Flycatchers had arrived. Good news indeed as they are one of my favourites.
 
Didn't see much on my way to the Southern end were I found Mick. He was looking North along the fenceline..at some Spotted Flycatchers. He reckoned he'd seen three. I joined him and I was soon looking at one on the fence...
 
 
 
A few minutes later I picked another up in a bush. The good news about this species is it sits out in the open a lot. Probably another good reason for liking it. Better than looking at leaves for long periods!!
 
 
 
My final image is particularly pleasing as it is framed by the emerging leaves behind...
 
 
 Before I left Mick he told me that he'd seen some Whimbrel in the paddocks and a Ring Ouzel by the woodpile No luck with the Whimbrel but...
 
 
 There were a couple of Yellow Wag's present also...
 
 
 I then picked up a distinctive sound as I reached the car. It went something like this...Cuc-koo.
 
They are notoriously difficult to get close too, although I have been lucky on the odd occasion. This view was somewhere in the middle...at least I SAW it..
 
A bit hazy but you get the idea!
ALPINE ACCENTOR tempting me in Lincs. Co-incidentally, my only British sighting was also in Lincs at Rimac in November 1994. Pity it couldn't have made it to Yorks!
 

No comments: