Friday 3 June 2016

Return to NDC

I've had a belly full of this N wind. So after a quick dog walk on the beach at Spurn and no news of any "new birds" I decided to head inland...it couldn't be any colder...could it?
 
I stopped of briefly in Hull at the O2 shop to confirm I don't need a smart phone!
 
I arrived at my beloved (historic) Patch at 1pm. My gamble had paid off as it was 18c and sunny! After gathering my stuff I turned to look across the field next to the car park...
 
It looked a picture
I could see 2 slim falcons?
 
HOBBIES!!!
 
Far too quick for my camera...unfortunately. They made some interesting noises as they shot off east from the field. Always special.
 
Amazingly not 30 seconds later a Tawny Owl flew across the field!!!? This time I DID get an image, although that's being polite...
 
A record shot..just!
What a start! I like to think my old pal had something to do with it...
 
His favourite spot
I decided to try Garganey hide first. As I opened the    I could see the GWE in the distance. My luck continued for after around 20 minutes it flew onto the bank some 80 yds away...
 
 
Still knocked out to have this elegant species on my Patch. You can imagine how many hours I've looked out onto the Carrs, so to finally see this possible addition was very satisfying indeed. I like to think I savour these sightings more these days. A massive benefit of watching somewhere for a long time. It soon flew back to the centre of the reserve. It does look very settled (there I've put the mockers on it now)...
 
 
My new pal enjoyed the day too...
 
 
It's still my favourite spot, if a little sad sometimes...
 

No comments: