Thursday 30 June 2016

Summer 17 - Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, USA

I hope to go?
 
As you're almost certainly aware I'm keen on my ABA Birding. Nothing comes close personally regarding trips abroad. Additions to my list are becoming increasingly tough to achieve. There's always a way however. One is to get on board again and do some Pelagics. Always a  mixed blessing as my sea legs are poor. It's never stopped me in the past (maybe slowed me down a tad) and with the help of...
 
 
Things have improved greatly.
 
I've been fortunate to do many trips of the West Coast around San Francisco with Shearwater Journeys and even managed a MEGA in the form of HAWAIIAN PETREL. To increase my list though I now need to look to the East Coast and the famed site...Cape Hatteras
 
My targets?
 
Black-capped Petrel...what a beauty!
 
 
Wilson's Storm-Petrel 
Leach's Storm-Petrel
B
and-rumped Storm-Petrel
 
With reasonable luck I should secure these 4 on one trip...there I've said it now!
 
Thinking BIG there's a possibility of...
 
Tridade Petrel
Fea’s Petrel
Bermuda Petrel
Red-billed Tropicbird
White-tailed Tropicbird
European Storm Petrel
 
ALL have be seen in late May/early June


Also seen regularly are...
Cory's Shearwater
Great Shearwater 
Audubon's Shearwater 
 
I've seen these species elsewhere but they are certainly not to be dismissed, especially the views and numbers involved!
 
To give you an idea of the quality species and views achievable take a look at these posts...
 
2015
 
 
 
 
2016
 
 
 
 
 
I hope you enjoy viewing these images and reading the accounts, I did! I may be tempted to go late May and risk missing a BIG 1 here? All pie in the sky at the moment but I can dream...can't I?
 

No comments: