Friday 26 August 2016

Col du Tourmalet

We visited this site twice during our enforced re-location at Bareges. It accommodation wasn't to the same standard...but it was quiet...far quieter than the four day festival in Saint Savin which went on each night till 5am!!! At least we were tipped off about this by the owner, which was more than honest.
 
The Col du Tourmalet is world famous in cycling circles as it's one of the toughest climbs on the Tour-de-France. It's also a prime site for Snowfinch. Not for me. I tried ALL car parks and associated areas during both visits...no sign.
 
A view from the top...
 
 
I took the track towards the Pic du Midi after setting Louise up in a decent spot to read her novel. I hadn't gone more than 50 yards when I noticed a single bird on the path...
 
 
Louise had popped back to use the facilities. When she returned...the bird had disappeared. I continued along the track.
 
After around an hour I returned having seen nothing. The or a bird was back on the path...
 
Alpine Accentor
It was a hot day and the bird is backlit...but you get the idea. I realise I've already posted a pic during the trip but I thought one or two more wouldn't hurt. Top bird and not always easy to pin down, so I counted myself fortunate this time.
 
One more...
 
 
The only raptor seen was Kestrel...and there were plenty, as there were at most sites visited. I'll just default the "No Lammergeier sighting".
 
The mountains were carpeted with wild flowers...
 
Wild Iris
While we were there we enjoyed the atmosphere as numerous cyclists made the pilgrimage to the pass to have their photos taken with the iconic statue...
 
 
So, the CdT was generally disappointing bird wise but it was a fabulous and interesting spot to visit and the views were spectacular...
 
 
...........................................................................................
 
Locally I added Ringed Plover 4 (H.88) and Turnstone 15 (H.89) to the Village year list in a brief visit to the cliff this afternoon. Nice!
 

No comments: