Thursday 15 September 2016

Quest for a Yellow-browed...or something!

I've been here in Holmpton around 4 years now...how time flies! My goal of living in a quiet village on the East Coast fulfilled. Dreams of "finding my own" and the chocolate factory just down the road. 

Thing is...it's tough. I put in large amounts of time for little reward. The bucket loads of chocolate down the road doesn't help!

Am I downhearted, I hear you cry?

Not at all. I love the challenge ...and boy is it a challenge!!

The positive is that each discovery is special...because it's mine. For decades I've shared birds found by other people. I've seen them all before...well nearly all. Now it's time to find them myself...or try to. Trying it can be...very trying. The location must produce...something, sometime...surely?

Today was a typical example.

Yellow-browed Warblers reported down the East Coast, the first minor influx. Great, let's get out there and "find my own". I gave it FOUR hours at what I consider to be my best bets in the Village.

My reward? Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff.

Maybe tomorrow...

No comments: