Tuesday 20 September 2016

Working the Patch

Leg strength has been improving so today I worked/walked the Patch...all day!
 
Yellow-browed Warblers raining in...surely today is the day?
 
I started at the Southern end. Parked at Out Newton and walked North to Old Hive. A decent number (22) of Great Black-backed Gulls was an unusual sight...
 
 
On to Old Hive...
 
 
 
 
18 trees (yes it was that slow). Mainly sycamores isolated 50 yards from the sea. Migrant trap? Not today. 2 Chiffchaffs in 2 hours! I also checked around the White House and farm before leaving. I did bump into an old friend...
 
 
There was a noticeable increase in Robins...
 
 
Before lunch I checked the Church grounds and Rectory (there's always one in those places). Nothing.
 
OK. No luck so far but plenty of time. The pager was busy with YBW's at Spurn, Easington, Grimston, Flamborough, Bempton, Filey...
 
Keep calm I told myself it's only a matter of time. I walked a few coastal hedges...
 
 
Nope.
 
Then it was back to the clifftop...
 
 
Isolated stunted sycamores,
 
 
 
thickets, privet, scrub it's all there...
 
 
...except BIRDS!!!
 
I gave up at 6.30pm with one last look at my Sycamore bridge...
 
 
I gave it my best but it wasn't to be. It was topped off with a pager message informing me that one had been seen in Withernsea Hospital grounds! It doesn't matter where they are found. I have to find my own. I've been looking at other peoples birds for donkeys years. It doesn't interest me anymore...well with the exception of the odd skulker in the hand and British/Yorkshire tick of course!
 
I have the opportunity this Autumn to see what my Village can (or can't) produce. It's not going to be easy it seems.
 
I hope it gets better!
 

No comments: