Saturday 29 October 2016

RLB sex-change plus Pallas's Warbler

Seems like I've made an error. That's OK. I make plenty, in all areas!
 
Rough-legged Buzzards eh! Thing is, you look at various references and they conflict? Never to old to learn, that's the secret.
 
Collin's shows adult male with pale belly BUT ah ha, there's a dark variant showing dark hood, darker belly (emphasizing pale collar) and dark underwing coverts. A dark individual! I've seen so many different tail patterns (upper and lower) illustrations I won't even go there! I'll admit the Collin's (dark variant) illustration points to a male. I'll know next time...maybe! I wasn't on my own with this one as it came out more than once on the information services as adult female? An excellent educational bird. After all we don't get many adults.
 
At least I got the RLB right...lol! Let's move on.
 
I spent three hours down at Old Hive this morning. Maybe a YBW or Pallas's? Of course not. Leaves thinning dramatically now which helps viewing...if there's anything to view that is! Nothing for 30 minutes...then a tapping...yes a Woodpecker. Great Spotted to be precise. Migrant? Probably. I approached the area and had decent views through the bins. I then sorted the camera out and...it disappeared! Just shows that if a decent sized thing like that can slip by...
 
 
Then a spluttering sound...it exploded out of the undergrowth and headed off into the mist...
 
Woodcock
This pic shows the pot belly well.
 
News broke that the RLB was still present so I had a drive down to see if it was showing. Unfortunately not. I gave it an hour then drifted off north towards Holmpton. Further news: Great White Egret flew south at...you guessed it...Holmpton! You also probably guessed...no further sign!
 
After lunch I tried for the Pallas's Warbler at the north end of the Gas Terminal. As I arrived a group of birders were leaving. I had a rough idea were to go but I wasn't that bothered as I wanted to try and re-locate it for myself. As I searched along the fence and wandered towards the copse it became clear I was on my own. I started to walk the well trodden path and scanned the various trees and bushes. A Chiffchaff, well it's a start! Nothing else for a while...then, there it was...
 
 
This is a TINY jewel of a bird. The area is reasonably small but a sprite like this can easily get lost. Fortunately it remained in the area for a good 10 minutes allowing me to get some decent pics.
 
 
 
Pleased with this one...
 
 
Superb bird.
 
Flushed with this success I decided to return to Kilnsea and wait...and wait. At least I could listen to the Footy for a while and a few skeins of Pinkfeet moved South...
 
 
Would it show? I scanned and scanned...nothing. It was gone 4 now. I then noticed a couple of crows swooping along Long Bank? Time for a walk towards Sammy's. It was an unbelievably mild afternoon. Fitting, as it was the last day of "summertime". As I approached the area were I'd seen the stooping Crows I walked down the bank to give myself some cover. More scanning...
 
Bingo!
I waited. The bird eventually took to the air and headed towards Sammy's...
 
 
The light was now typical of a late October day...murky! I carried on towards Sammy's. I lost sight of the bird but continued to check the bank and bushes. 4 distant White-fronts were noted.
 
Then...
 
 
Again I waited until it flew further North and was lost to view. I continued to the gate at SP. A message came through..."RLB still at Sammy's" Where though? Again I waited. More noisy Crows?
 
 
I'm still not seeing many bars here?
Have to say this uppertail pattern does suggest female? Anyway...
 
It returned to the southern end of Sammy's and perched again in a bush...
 
 
Further movement South...
 
 
Time to head back now. My gamble had paid off. Another quality experience with a magnificent raptor.
 
 

No comments: