Friday 7 October 2016

The Western Isles

My first visit.
 
It seemed the right thing to do...you've read the aftermath! A sickener but no regrets. Many other Birders have made their choices regarding Autumn destinations. Some get lucky, some don't. Unst was a good choice with 2 Zoothera Thrushes in the past 2 days!!! It's not just the location though...it's the timing. Pro-active or re-active, that is the question. The former can leave you marooned, the latter can leave you with that "after the lord Mayor's show" feeling. I've experienced both...many times...as have many others.
 
Anyway, off I went on Sunday. Through the night for my flight from Glasgow to Benbecula on the Uists. Could I re-find the EASTERN KINGBIRD? Highly unlikely...but possible...just! My hire car was waiting for me, which was very impressive considering the location. The wind was still VERY strong as I made my way South to Bornish. Might as well start there and head North I thought.
 
The Pottery...
 
 
...there was an EASTERN KINGBIRD here once!
 
Miraculous really that the owner was a Birder who recognised the bird allowing Birders stationed locally to connect. I gave it an hour before moving North.
 
I didn't tick the Great Auks in the garden...
 
 
I spent the rest of the day checking any suitable habitat...
 
A typical example
Tuesday morning was spent exploring the North end of the Uists, again checking mainly gardens and plantations. Little was seen. The wind was still strong and with limited cover Birding was difficult. I chose some sheltered spots and staked them out. At least it wasn't raining!
 
There were large numbers of Plovers present on the Island...
 
 
 
...and Stonechats...
 
 
I gave it around 18 hours but alas it wasn't to be.
 
I awoke Wednesday morning to more strong wind and I decided to leave. I made my way down the Uists to the Ferry for Barra, passing some interesting Cottages...
 
 
 
 
As we set off to cross the Sound of Barra I received a MEGA alert...
 
East Yorks ALBATROSS sp flew SE past Bempton RSPB at 9.20am
 
Life can be cruel sometimes. If (that word again) I'd stayed at home I'd have been at Bempton trying for the ECW and would have seen what turned out to be a BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS. This would have been a British/Yorks tick. I repeat myself!
 
I fluked a lift to the Airport and waited. I did have the presence of mind to ask if there was a seat on the earlier flight...which there was! We got the shout to depart and this was the surprise view when I turned to leave the building...
 
 
Never took off from a beach before!
 
I have one further post to make regarding my trip but that will have to wait till tomorrow.
 

No comments: