Thursday 10 November 2016

A brighter day

After yesterdays wash out I was hoping for a better day...I got one in spades.
 
News came through of a Slavonian Grebe at Heslington East Campus, York University. I wasn't and still aren't sure if this species is a York Area tick (I'll have to crank up the old laptop to check that!). I parked up and made my way down to the main lake. I found the bird made my way down to the edge of the lake. It was showing reasonably close in poor light...
 
 
 I gave it an hour or so but the bird drifted out into the middle of the lake as there were lots of students passing. Guess I was lucky to get a decent pic.
 
I returned through Hull and reached the Humber Bank around 3. Fortunately/miraculously the sun was out. There was plenty of activity in the area with 2 Hen Harriers...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
More photos than usual I know but I wanted to try and give a flavour of the bird in the habitat. Hope I succeeded?
 
At one time the 2 SEO's were almost locking talons above my car (too slow for a pic). Also, much screeching was heard, a first for me...
 
 
 
 
The Owl performed brilliantly in the diffuse light and eventually I managed to get the shot I wanted...
 
 
The day was going very well...it was to get even better. I left around 4 and headed east. As I approached the Sunk Island area I noticed a large silhouette in the adjacent field...it was hovering? It was getting dark now but I was reasonably confident of the species (Buzzards hover sometimes). I turned down the minor road. The bird stayed along the road and hovered again giving great views down to 50 yds. Fantastic!!
 
Now then, the pics are poor but I feel they're worth an airing, again, to hopefully convey the occasion...
 
 
 
 
 
Now then...age and sex? Using my catchphrase technique, I see white wing patches, diffuse tail band and streaked breast. I say juvenile...
 
 
My first self-found RLB. Great days can still be had...in November...
 

No comments: