Tuesday 15 November 2016

Bohemian Waxwing

I like to see this charismatic bird well at least once during the winter...if possible. I'd seen one well but very briefly at Spurn as already posted. News came through that the large group at Pickering were still present...so off I went.
 
I arrived at the swimming baths area around 11.30. The birds were soon spotted but they were high in a tree on an adjacent estate...
 
 
There were already a few admirers present in various locations. It was the usual scenario of residents asking questions and photographers changing positions. The light was fair but the birds kept their distance. You try to follow them and they end up at the spot you've just left...or stay and wait? The flock was VERY mobile. This was the first time I'd witnessed Waxwings fly-catching. This was undoubtedly due to the mild conditions.
 
This species must be the most photographed of all birds but I never get tired of seeing and spending time with them.
 
I stayed until 2.30 when the light started to fade. A few of my efforts...
 
 
 
 
 
 
Just what's needed post migration November...
 
 

No comments: