Wednesday 7 December 2016

Around McAllen

We based in McAllen until the 15th. It's a great hub from which to explore this magnificent Birding area. Having done crazy miles so far the idea is to tone things down and visit some of the iconic sites for which the RGV is famous...plus a few new ones to me.
 
I was back at Bentson first light to try again for the Groove-billed Ani. No luck again I'm afraid, maybe the Chachalacas are dominating proceedings...
 
7.50am
I returned to the Motel at 9.45 had breakfast and freshened up. We then returned to Bentson (after all I'd already paid my 5 dollars) to try again for the Ani plus an Eastern Screech Owl that I was told about by one of the staff. Louise paced out the said distance...
 
 
Again no joy on both counts by mid-day, so we left for lunch, driving down the impressive exit road...
 
 
Following up on an eBird report we then visited the McAllen Nature Center to try for the wonderful Audubon's Oriole that had been present there for several days. It was hot today (30c) but thankfully there was plenty of shade from the Ebony trees...
 
 
I tried hard to locate the bird but I couldn't find it. Not the ideal time of day granted. My consolation prize was pretty special though...
 
Roadrunner
The bird remained motionless for a good minute allowing me to take this shot. Always a special moment to see this species well.
 
I returned to Louise at 3.30 because I didn't want to arrive late (or not at all!) at our final venue for the day. I had directions (yes from eBird) but I was still concerned it might be difficult to find the exact spot in a built up area. Any ideas?
 
My target was one of two species that are now "countable" as they have established breeding populations in the Valley. We drove the streets looking for a Kohls that had been mentioned in the report...thankfully. However, we just couldn't locate it and the sun was dropping...fast!
 
I drove further down the busy 10th street...then I spotted the store. We pulled in and parked. I told Louise I would just have a walk around the car park. She decided to head for the store...no surprise there!
 
Just as we stepped out of the car a flock of birds flew over our heads and landed on the wires right in front of us...I kid you not!!!
 
It was 4.50pm...
 
Green Parakeets
Quite a sight and a helluva noise! No matter what your thoughts on these birds you can't help but be impressed by the spectacle...I certainly was!
 
I spent a happy hour watching these very sociable birds interacting as the sun went down...it was certainly better than being in Kohl's!
 
A few images...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Stunning colours I think you would agree. Circumstances were ideal and the birds provided great entertainment. I was really taken and surprised by them.
 
I counted 226.
 
I even managed a passable flight shot...
 
 
The show came to an end at 5.50 as the birds flew high south in groups of varying numbers...
 
 
Loved it! Hope you enjoyed the show...
 

No comments: