Wednesday 28 December 2016

BRT...plus late DT!

Left Holmpton at 3.55am. Much care needed on Snakey and beyond due to fog and ice. Once through McDonalds things obviously improved as I headed down the M18 towards the M1.
Stow-on-the-Wold was a new site for me and it took some getting to. I eventually arrived at the designated car park at 7.30. The bird had already been reported on the Pager! I played it (reasonably) cool and let Bud relieve himself and have a good stretch after the 3.5 hour journey. After finally figuring out the meter I made my way with some other pilgrims to the designated site...a housing estate. There were two viewing options, neither great but at least it was a partial view of the said garden. Thankfully it wasn't a direct view into the house! More on that later.
Fortunately I'm tall so I had as good a view as any but it still wasn't ideal...
8.29am it popped into view...just...
The bird was on view for around 10 minutes and then it dropped back down into the garden and out of view. It was still very dull but I'd seen it so I returned to the car to give the lad some more exercise. I bumped into some familiar faces from Yorkshire, namely Mark and Joel, it was good to see them again. After the dog walk and the sound of Nuthatches I returned to find the site abandoned?!
The bird must have moved I thought...I'm quick like that! Sure enough I took the next street and there was the admiring crowd, thankfully spread out now at the head of a cul-de-sac, enjoying great views of the bird in the sun, on a chimney...
not that apparent
Better...
I like this pic...I don't use photoshop lol
Maybe a cliff substitute? The aspect was perfect and the bird eventually made it's way around the stack into the sun...
Do I see cake on the bill!
This situation was VERY fortunate, as fog was extensive on both journeys, not to mention black ice...whoops I just have!
Just one more...
Now then...provenance?
Much (understandable) debate on-line. A bird hopping around an estate in December with possible injuries and eating cake! Surely an escape? Long time readers will know I have had various opinions on controversial occurrences. For what it's worth...I have absolutely no idea!!! Early days and more "evidence" may come to light but as it stands I have hopes for this one.
Could it view the stone houses as rocks...for example?
As always, I make a decision to travel (or not) to see a bird...then I wait for the decision...and abide by it, regardless of whether I agree with it or not. Simple. I have my private list but my BOU list is the one that matters...to me.
I left around 10.30am and tried to negotiate a safe route back to the M1. Not easy. I had one hairy moment with a stretch of black ice. The old girl steadied herself superbly though. Much better than the Golf that was in the ditch around the bend!
Lunch in Banbury and onto the M1.
Having been in Texas I'd not seen the DUSKY THRUSH at Beeley, Derbys. Be rude not to...as the saying goes. Again, another awkward journey but I eventually arrived around 3pm. We walked the short distance along...
Unfortunately viewing was distant...VERY distant...
It was in the field on the hill between the two large trees, c150 yds!
Still, I managed a decent view through a kind chaps 'scope. A brighter, if more distant view than in Margate Cemetery at dusk, when I was the last birder to see it.
For the record...
A nice re-introduction to British Birding...

No comments: