Thursday 8 December 2016

Laguna Atascosa

I spent a couple of hours down at Bentson from first light. I didn't try for the Ani again, instead I just hung around the visitor centre hoping, in vain, for a sighting of an Altamira Oriole. Louise felt a bit off yesterday so I returned to the Motel when she texted me to say she'd risen.
 
On the way back along Military Road I spotted a White-tailed Hawk in a palm...
 
 
The light was hazy but you can clearly see the rusty scapulars. This species is yet another Texas speciality.
 
After a chat we decided to head out to Laguna Atascosa. We reckoned the weather might be brighter and it would give her time to have a rest. I'm good like that!
 
On our last visit we had serious issues with road works and detours which wasted a couple of hours...never good when your on holiday. Surely it wouldn't happen again? IT DID!
 
A s we approached Rio Hondo we saw a sign saying...diversion...Bridge Closed. We were sent on a marathon detour as there wasn't another way to cross the river! We carried on eventually...only to hit ANOTHER diversion. Unbelievable.
 
Anyway...we arrived at the Osprey overlook at 1pm for our Subway lunch. The good news was the cloud had disappeared and we were sitting under blue skies in temps around 23C.
 
We passed this chap on the way...
 
Black Vulture
... then this one...
 
Turkey Vulture
I set my stall up and started to scan the incredible number of birds on the water. I have never seen so many and I certainly wouldn't be bold enough to start to estimate numbers! My target was "our" Eurasian Wigeon which would be a Texas tick. At least I "should" be certain of the ID!
 
Place to myself!
There were groups of Pied-billed Grebes and Ruddy Ducks in the shallows.
 
 
I scanned for an hour, at least the ones within reasonable distance. Then another hour...no luck. Out of nowhere came these giants...27 of them...
 
White Pelicans
A surprise...at least to me! The haze was significant now but here's a few images anyway...
 
Image 747 on my camera!!
NINE foot wingspan
 
Then..there it was...Eurasian Wigeon...a miracle! Texas 456
 
I have to say a photo was out of the question but Louise saw it!! See is a little biased. It was an amazing stroke of luck considering the numbers out there. I'll take it though.
 
It was now 4pm and I wanted an hour down the horrendous pot holed approach road in search of the wonderful Harris's Hawk.
 
Just as I was packing up a beautiful (at least in flight) Roseate Spoonbill flew by...
 
 
First sighting of note on the road...Roadrunner...
 
 
Never get tired of seeing this bird. He posed in the sunshine for me.
 
 
Next 3 Crested Caracaras...I managed to position the car without disturbing the nearest bird. I took this through the grasses...
 
 
Such an unusual bird in many ways.
 
Another half mile, another raptor!
 
White-tailed Hawk...
 
 
Great stuff. Now where could that Harris's Hawk be?
 
Here...
 
Not the best but I like the look...
 
 
The sun had disappeared by now unfortunately but at least I found one. I was well pleased with "Raptor road". Not another species surely?
 
Yep...
 
Osprey
A terrible morning...but what an afternoon!!!
 

No comments: