Thursday 1 December 2016

Lewis's Woodpecker

I’m writing this as we leave Larado far behind and head towards Fort Stockton having given up (for now) on the AMAZON KINGFISHER. I spent from dawn till 9 back at Zacate creek. I saw another Belted Kingfisher and the same species as yesterday but my luck was out. Has it moved on?
If it gets seen again I’ll return from the RGV later in the trip. I’m obviously gutted not to have seen it BUT maybe I’ll get another shot?
Time to “go West”.  My targets:-
Common Merganser
Golden Eagle
Anna’s Hummingbird
Sage Thrasher
Sagebrush Sparrow
We’re staying in Fort Stockton for a couple of nights which will enable me to try for all of the above birds before we drop down into the RGV on Friday night for our main stay.
 
Late news...and a change of plan as a Lewis's Woodpecker/s has turned up in Midland which is a couple of hours North of Fort Stockton. It's a species I've always hoped to connect with in Texas...maybe things are looking up?
 
Image result for lewis's woodpecker
A wonderful species...
 

No comments: