Wednesday 14 December 2016

Out East

We headed east this morning to build a day out around 2 target birds. Namely Aplomado Falcon  and Tropical Parula.

After the problems around Rio Hondo (bridge closed) and San Benito (everything!) we went South on 69E to the 100. A great decision as we had a clear run to the first AF stake out. It was another beautiful day with a gentle breeze.
 
I gave it 30 minutes at 2 sites the second providing very distant and hazy views through the scope of a Falcon in it's nest cage. I was hoping for a stunning view and pic...as always!?
 
Onward...
 
We then took on the horrendous pot-holed road to Laguna Atascosa. On the way we had great views of my favourite Hawk...
 
Harris's
Such a cool bird. Impressive equipment!
 
The visitor centre is closed Tuesday and Wednesday but no matter as my target bird was within the grounds and the short Kiskadee trail...
 
 
I gave it my full attention for 2 hours in 88F but didn't see anything! I tried...
 
We then headed out to the coast at South Padre Island (yet another "cool" name). My first Brown Pelican of the trip didn't take long to materialize on the impressive approach bridge. We headed north up the island towards the Birding Centre. Louise loves the Pelicans so we stopped off for lunch to watch them by the quay...
 
 
We enjoyed a wonderful hour watching these birds which are packed with personality including some hilarious scenes as they waited for scraps from a fisherman...
 
 
They did allow close approach...
 
 
We then moved on to the Birding Centre. I've been to a few sites in my time but this building tops the lot!!!
 
 
I spent an enjoyable couple of hours walking the boardwalks over the Mangroves. I passed this chap on the way in...
 
 
The sun was dazzling but I managed a few shots of the fare on offer...
 
Great Egret
American Wigeon
Both Pelican species in the distance through the heat haze, emphasising how huge the Whites are!
 
American Coot
The stunning Little Blue Heron
 

The final item of note was my attempt to get a decent picture of the 2 mobile Belted Kingfishers. Very vocal, powerful and mobile! My last attempt was to sit in the much needed shade, under one of the rest areas and wait. I'd seen one, or both perched on a sign some 30yds away earlier. 20 minutes, no luck. Then I heard one to my left. I looked across and there was a bird on another sign out in the bay. I made my was a stealthily as I get towards it...
 
 
Using the trusty zoom I managed a decent image...
 
 
Then another noise behind me...you guessed it the other bird was perched on the sign near the site I'd just left! That's Birding...
 

No comments: