Friday 20 January 2017

List changes?

News came through today that the BOU will adopt the IOC list from January 2018. I might just have figured out the changes to my list by then!!! More on that later.
 
Today was a slow day in the wonderful winter sunshine. Pre-dawn I added Barn Owl (H.35) down Snakey Lane. a stretch for Bud on the clifftop at Easington produced my first Cormorants (3) of the year (P.73, S.25). I then drove down Easington straight through the fog hoping that the Whooper Swan was still present (and viewable), it was, with another...
 
P.74, S.26
 
Always a pleasure to see.
 
After lunch I decided to drive down to Stone Creek to see if I could add Hen Harrier to my year list. On the way down I noticed a shape right next to the road. I approached slowly expecting the usual departure but was surprised as the bird remained totally unconcerned by the cars presence...
 
Grey Partridge P.75
As I drove down the straight at Stone Creek I was greeted by a Sparrowhawk sat on the hedge...
 
 
I spent all afternoon waiting for a HH to show but it didn't happen. I was entertained by at least 3 Short-eared Owls...a few images...
 
 
 
 
 
 
Other notable birds seen were Buzzard, Marsh Harrier (male), Kingfisher, Stonechat (2), Tree Sparrow (c20), Curlew (115). Skylarks (c10) were also disputing territories which was uplifting.
 
.......................................................................................
 
My interest in Cyprus Birding had me checking my regular sites. A GREAT BLACK-HEADED GULL (prefer the name to Pallas's Gull) was present at Larnaca Sewage Works today. Pity I couldn't find one last January! Maybe this March? An adult would be nice!
 
Image may contain: bird, sky, ocean, outdoor, water and nature

...........................................................................................

No comments: