Sunday 8 January 2017

PALLID HARRIER

I returned to Welwick this morning after a much needed lie in. The pager had already informed me that the bird had showed...unlike yesterday!
 
I texted Phil and met him in the car park around 10am. There was a decent crowd of admirers present. I joined Phil and he told me the bird was showing "on and off". He had some pics...
 
PALLID HARRIER (P.49)
Over the next hour we enjoyed distant but extended views of this rarity which was gracing my Patch. It's easy to forget sometimes when there's something so special, so very close.
 
I was meeting Louise at 1 for lunch and Phil was heading back to Leeds. I had another 3o minutes before I had to leave so I decided to try the road that continued form the car park. I'd seen SEO, Sparrowhawk and even had a fleeting glimpse of the disappearing PALLID. I didn't connect with any of the above but I did add Stock Dove (P.50) to my year list...
 
 
I rang Phil who'd only reached Patrington and he returned to connect...just! They flew twice but he managed a glimpse.
 
After lunch we had a walk with Bud west from Skeffling to the gate at Welwick. Birds seen included SEO, Buzzard and Little Egret. On our return we bumped into John Hewitt, Mick Turton and Mick Mayer who were doing a bird race. I told them I hadn't seen anything "unusual", wished them luck and continued back to the car. We'd been blessed with an excellent day weather-wise.
 
Another image from my Texas trip. Mountain Bluebird at Big Spring S.P...
 
 

No comments: