Wednesday 22 March 2017

Cyprus 17 - Akamas Peninsula

Started at Agia Vavara hoping for a GS Cuckoo. I didn't find one but I did locate 2 Cretzschmar's Buntings in the same bush!

Then it was back to Anarita Park, curious to see if the Rock Thrush was still present. On my way in I had my first Spectacled Warbler singing on top of a bush... very nice. I then made my way down to the site I last saw the RT but it didn't show in the hour I spent there. Made it all the more special. I did see what was probably the same Eastern BE Wheatear though.

I also bumped into Ian Bloomer who had led the walk around Paphos headland on Saturday. We had an enjoyable chat about Birding and staying on Cyprus. Very interesting.

He then carried on his way and I mine. I was just about to go back for breakfast when another 4x4 appeared. It was another English couple out Birding. The chap told me about a Little Owl site and took me to it. Sure enough... there it was! Not a self-found this one but always nice to see.

After breakfast we had a drive north to the Akamas Peninsula, yet another great Birding area.

It's a bit early for the Flycatchers but I thought it was worth a visit besides it was a new area for Louise. We tried the Gosney sites in order.

Firstly Polis reedbed. As already mentioned I wanted to reccy as many sites as possible to see if they would be worth visiting again. The reedbed is extensive but access is limited. Probably worth another peep when visiting the area but I spared Louise an extended vigil today. As we were returning to the main road I noticed a bird on a wire that sent alarm bells ringing. It didn't fit. I asked my chauffeur to do a U-turn which put me on the viewable side. Now then...any ideas? Sightings are always in context...rare, scarce etc etc. You've already heard the RT eulogy​. It's a species that is VERY elusive. My text to Colin confirmed​ it to be "very scarce" especially this winter.

Hawfinch....on a wire some 30ft above the car! Extremely chuffed with this sighting... even though I say so myself lol!

We spent the next 3 hours strolling around the "Baths of Aphrodite" area. The caravan site is major migratory hotspot...but not today...too early. However, it didn't stop me getting great views and passable pics of an Eastern Bonelli's Warbler. It's characteristic fly-catching behaviour was clear to see. I also saw my first Whitethroat. Returning to the car a Peregrine zoomed by taking the trip total to 132.

Big day with Bill tomorrow...

No comments: