Thursday 2 March 2017

CYPRUS - Priorities

Disclaimer - As I've said many times before, plans can be VERY personal, like lots of topics I guess. So please feel free to move on if my choice of Birding venue isn't for you.

Onward.

I've found it interesting while preparing my trip file (one of life's great pleasures) to see how I intend to "play" this visit. I have lots of time...but what to see and where to go on the Island? I have excellent contacts and superb online information...both on Sites and Species. Running through past March monthly sightings for the past 5 years I've built up a pretty good base of occurrences. I'm fairly familiar with the main sites although I'm sure I'll get lost and have access issues along the way. All good fun?

We're based in Paphos at the east end, which will allow me time to explore some less watched areas were I hope to "find my own"...especially before breakfast. I intend to check around the Hotel every morning.

Now...the Birds!

Cyprus is superbly placed to receive migrants (you probably knew that!). This will be my first "proper" stab at birding the early part. Plenty to go at and always the chance of a surprise or five. Even some of the later arrivals have occurred in late March e.g. ELEANORA'S FALCON.

Going through my list again I had a bit of fun trying to narrow down species I'd prioritize as wanting to see during my visit (8th - 29th). Very difficult. Anyway below is my personal priority list for various reasons. There are many debatable omissions...

LIFE TARGETS

STEPPE BUZZARD
LONG-LEGGED BUZZARD
DEMOISELLE CRANE
GREAT BLACK-HEADED GULL
BIMACULATED LARK
LESSER SHORT-TOED LARK
SEMI-COLLARED FLYCATCHER
ROCK SPARROW
CINEREOUS BUNTING

Specials

BONELLI’S EAGLE
ELEONORA'S FALCON
LITTLE BITTERN
SQUACCO HERON
GREATER FLAMINGO
RUDDY SHELDUCK
PALLID HARRIER
BLACK FRANCOLIN
CRAKES – Little, Spotted and Baillon’s
CREAM-COLOURED COURSER
COLLARED PRATINCOLE
GREATER SAND PLOVER
SPUR-WINGED PLOVER
SLENDER-BILLED GULL
AUDUOIN'S GULL
CASPIAN TERN
BLACK-BELLIED SANDGROUSE
LAUGHING DOVE
EURASIAN SCOPS OWL
BLUE-CHEEKED BEE-EATER
CALANDRA LARK
RED-THROATED PIPIT
BLACK-HEADED WAGTAIL
EHRENBERG'S REDSTART
ROCK THRUSH
RUPPELL’S WARBLER
COLLARED FLYCATCHER
MASKED SHRIKE
TRUMPETER FINCH
CRETZSCHMAR’S BUNTING

There we go then.
 
Temperatures should be between 17c and 20c, which is fine for me...and hopefully Louise! It will certainly be better than Holmpton! As stated before, I'm not a fan of excessive heat, especially when it's humid. No jungles for me! I'm at a stage in life now were I want great birding...and comfort. It's a holiday!!! This is a great way to shorten our Winter.
 
I will endeavour to post regularly during the trip, depending on the quality of the internet connection at our Hotel. I hope to give you something interesting to follow...

No comments: