Thursday 4 May 2017

A good day

 I started locally with the usual canine constitutional. On the way back to the cottage to pick up the rest of my gear I noticed three white rumps...no not Sandpipers...Bullfinches (P.104, H.71)! They only allowed me a glimpse through the windscreen but it was enough. A difficult species to catch up with on the Patch and only my 5th record for the Village.

The NE wind is still strong...so headed for Duff around 9. I detoured through With' after a pit stop at Tesco. Glad I did as I picked up a distant cc Marsh Harrier on the outskirts.

I arrived usual and took up my usual spot, there was plenty of room...


As you can see the weather was set fair but the NE wind was still strong. Viewable water was at a premium. The dry spell and emergent vegetation had seen to that. There were still birds to view including a good number of Shelducks (c30)...



I spent a relaxed if uneventful 4 hours split between the 2 hides. I did add Yellow Wagtail (D.71). I was hoping (as always) for maybe a Cuckoo, Swift or even a Hobby but it wasn't to be...this time.

A Willow Warbler cheered me up on the way back to the car...


Primary tips unevenly spaced and a longer projection than Chiffchaff
Pale legs
Very clean below
Oh and it was singing as well!

Yesterday I paid another visit to a Sand Martin colony. I am pleased to report there are definitely more birds present this year (c100)...




No comments: