Friday 18 August 2017

Worth a Peep

News came through yesterday afternoon of a "stint" at Nosterfield showing apparent palmation!?

Possible American Wader...SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER (excellent) or WESTERN SANDPIPER (MEGA...and Yorks tick).

Did I go? No. I should have though.

The bird was present till dusk. Up at 5 and breakfast at McDonald's for 6.30 after a stretch for Bud. No news online so I waited for the Pager to wake at 7 (risky). Sure enough, news came through "it" was still there.

Onward.

Fair drive in the largest County (91 miles). I'd been here a few weeks ago for the Sabine's Gull, so I drove to the Village. As I approached I remembered the location of the reserve which a different spot. I pulled into the car park and sorted out my gear.

Chris a mate of Barry Bishop was just leaving. We had a brief chat then I headed for the screen. Fortunately there was room to view.

The viewing area was distant...

The bird was on the central island
Scope out and scanning. Picked up the Peep. I watched it for around 30 mins...none the wiser! I would have said... Little Stint. I know, I know...sounds smart, but there you go. I texted a few pals including Trevor and we discussed the "apparent" palmation. Real, shadow, mud etc. The distance (c100yds) made confirmation difficult. There were many snappers hard at it and I was sure someone would get something conclusive eventually (lets face it there's blanket coverage of everything these days...a double edged sword).

They did...it was a Little Stint.

Now here's the thing. Since the confirmation photo appeared...


...there's been a lot of comment on the dreaded "social media". Some supportive but alas plenty much less so. Lots of...I told you so...with more than a smattering of smugness. The bird DID appear to show palmation. There were various comments on structure, bill size etc. Very difficult.

For me...better to give the troops the heads up, as the alternative scenario is far less palatable.

No comments: