Wednesday 23 August 2017

Yellow Warbler

As I sit here recovering from my last escapade (both mentally and physically), I just wanted to record a few thoughts on twitching/chasing in general.

It was great to see so many familiar faces of all ages scattered around the site of the dearly departed bird. Yes, everyone was disappointed...obviously. A lot of effort had gone into reaching the site for many and the morning vigil from pre-dawn was a laborious one in conditions that were more suited to October.

For us it was an all-night drive from deepest East Yorks...a round trip of 686 miles. No regrets for a star like that.

The atmosphere was convivial with many conversations striking up as the morning progressed as it became more and more apparent the bird had moved on. Personally I was surprised at this. I felt it would stick around and feed up. That's the thing you see...you just never know...all part of the "fun".

As you know, I've been stung in the past by the "wait for news" strategy. The late charge hoping it will still be there is a feeling I can do with out. This is followed by the even more sickening feeling of searching for the bird (almost exclusively in vain) when it's disappeared! Yes we all dipped...but we were THERE!

As I'm now a selective twitcher I have a slightly more relaxed attitude to the outcome....or at least  think I do!?

The jewels from across the pond are a particular favourite for which I'll definitely go the extra mile...again.

No comments: