Wednesday 20 September 2017

Near and Far

Think I've used that heading before...probably one or two more as well by now!

I've put quite a few hours in over the last couple of days. Mainly plonking myself somewhere and ...waiting. Still a bit sore in a few places.

If you watch sycamores for long enough something usually appears. I managed a couple of Goldcrests (Firecrest one day) and a Willow Warbler at Old Hive. I also noticed a large chunk of cliff had slipped by the farm. Note to self: Don't park too near the edge!!

The highlight this morning was 2 Mediterranean Gulls (H.88, P.130) on the beach. An expected species and no rush but glad to add it today.

Then more beeping from the pocket...
 
11.05 MEGA Shetland YELLOW-BREASTED BUNTING Out Skerries
 
12.06 MEGA Shetland SIBERIAN THRUSH Unst at Baltasound at Ordaal

I confess to having to check the first although I knew I'd seen one in Yorks many moons ago...Filey 18/9/1994. It was a while ago! No such problem with the latter though!!! Enquiries were made. Due to current circumstances I can't say too much but lets just say things didn't work out. I know...boring but necessary. Another major factor being the diabolical forecast for Unst tomorrow. The 14th record for Britain, only three have stayed more than a day. The 1999 Scilly bird was the year before I started my annual pilgrimage BUT was far too early for my half-term teachers week (5th- 8th). 2 Norfolk records give a slither of hope.

Probably be showing well tomorrow lol! Maybe I can talk Louise into a fortnight in our retirement? I doubt it though. The bleak Northern Isles wouldn't be her cup of tea...alas. I'll work on it...

No comments: