Monday 2 October 2017

A good day

A tad breezy today which obviously affected the Birding. A lot of scanning from the car was undertaken. A combination of inclement weather and continued recuperation. I wasn't hopeful with strong westerlies.

...and then...

Hobby
I know, I know, BOC but a better view than I can manage by conventional means. Any, I'm not a photographer and I quite like it!

I'm so used to seeing "just" Kestrels floating over the cliff. The wind projected the bird at lightening speed and it was only in view for around a minute. I was pleased to get sort of image, so chuffed with this...even though I say so myself! Far more importantly is the record itself. Only my second for the Village following on from a May 23rd sighting earlier this year.

After lunch with the boss I took a (mercifully) fast recovering dog down to Easington for some exercise...and maybe a peep at the juv Rose-coloured Starling. Unbelievably as I got out of the car another/the same? Hobby!! More buses. I thought it landed in the tree opposite but I couldn't re-locate it. I DID re-locate the RCS though (P.133, S.81). It popped up in the top of a bush by the bungalows briefly on a couple of occasions and that was that. It was nice to see a few familiar faces, namely Steve Webb, Dave Tucker and Ian Smith.

Having seen the Red-backed Shrike yesterday...no idea what happened to the pic? Anyway...here it is...


...I decided to try for the 2 Flycatchers in the Crown and Anchor car park. Not much cover down there as the wind howled off the Humber. I positioned myself behind a bush and waited. A couple n a van were just leaving having seen them both recently which gave hope. Turns out they're renting the cottage next to mine for the week! I was joined by a nice young lad Andrew from Herts who was staying at the Obs. He told me he'd walked to the point!! Brave lad. It took around 30 mins but we eventually had great views of the Pied (P.134, S.82)...


...and a brief but clear view of the Red-breasted (P.135, S.83).

I did make a feeble attempt for the Shrike on my way home but it wasn't playing...

No comments: