Tuesday 5 December 2017

Texas 17 - Day 19

So, where was I?

Monday the 27th...I think!

Dawn found me at East Beach, Galveston after driving in along Retillion Rd...


This was the area the TAMAULIPAS CROW was seen in yesterday lunchtime/afternoon. I drove all the available areas for an hour or so, as did a few others but there was no sign of the bird. As already stated this wasn't a "new" bird for me (I've just looked...April 13th 2001!!!). However, it's still a rare bird (Code 3) and many had travelled far to add it to their lists, as there hadn't been any records for years.

Not many birds present at all but I did get great views of Ring-billed Gull...


I returned to the Motel for breakfast and then took Louise to the wonderful historic district of Galveston. We had a coffee in the unique La King's sweetshop...


Nice coffee and chocolates!!!

It was BIG shopping day for her today. Everything was open but quiet...perfect! I decided to have a run down the island and try a few hotspots before returning to pick her up at 3. That gave me 4 hours.

First stop was Sportsman's road which always gives great close views of wading birds.

Roseate Spoonbill...


Not the best looking but the colour is stunning...better in flight!

Others were more distant in the haze...


...including this Reddish with a Great, Tri-colored and some more RS.

Belted Kingfishers were plentiful along this stretch of road...


Next it was on to the remarkable Lafitte's Cove. A nature reserve in the middle of elite bay houses...


This place is a magnet for migrants on migration, offering great close views. Obviously quieter at this time of year but I did get my best ever view of a Sedge Wren...


Really pleased with this sighting as I'd looked for this bird on many occasions previously without much luck. considering the time of day the bird performed admirably. However, I couldn't find a YC Night Heron to add to my trip list.

Onward down the 22 mile island. Next, a White-tailed Kite on the wire...


The area west of LC always has these birds hunting the pastures. As usual I was cutting things fine time-wise. I wanted a quick look at San Luis Pass (a favourite location) but it was going to be tight (daft really). I negotiated my way across the pot holes and puddles and found a spot were I could scan the birds from. I had 10 minutes...ish!

I did get a nice view of a juvenile Black-bellied Plover...


...and a fast disappearing Greater Yellowlegs...


Then the monumental moment...at least for me!

I'd parked next to a couple of fishermen's trucks. As per usual a few Grackles were perched on them hoping for scraps. I heard a "croak"? I'd like to state here and now that I'm no world authority on ABA birds...or anything else for that matter! However, I had checked my Ibird pro app earlier at East Beach for the call of the TAMAULPAS CROW. It sounded rather similar! I turned around and this is what I saw...


It was only there for seconds but this time  was quick enough to grab the evidence. I had FOUND a rare bird!!! OK, not a stunner but...who cares! A truly magic moment for yours truly especially considering the circumstances of the day. Looked for at dawn at the other end of the island and a ten minute window at this end. These moments are the icing on the cake of Birding...not that I've had that many!

Elated I floated back to La King's to join Louise. Unfortunately due to technical issues I was unable to spread the news of my sighting until the evening. Incredibly I found out that some other birders had seen one/the same on the other side of the pass mid-afternoon!

A day to last in the memory.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Pam said...

What a cracking bird, nicely done on the Crow!