Wednesday 6 December 2017

Texas 17 - Day 20

Just to add some balance to all this fun...today wasn't (much) fun! Sometimes the type of holiday we chose to take involves logistical problems. Today was such a day.

I was hoping to try for some of the Woodpeckers available. First stop was Armand Bayou Nature Centre but it wasn't for long as it was closed! Should have checked...but can't think of everything...not by a long chalk! We did pass the Space Centre so would have been rude not to take a few pics...(phone pics clearer when clicked).



Even McDonald's joins in...


Next we tried W.G.Jones State Forest north of Houston. Always a sensational drive through this great city...






We eventually found the less than obvious entrance, parked up and had lunch.

This reserve is famous for its Red-cockaded Woodpecker...


No sign of this or any other Woodpeckers in a two hour search...


Wonderful spot
I did find a nest tree, with man-made cavity. Obviously to protect the site from larger Woodpeckers...especially Pileated (never did find one!).


It was now 2pm and time to leave for the target bird...American Woodcock. We had to take on the Houston traffic!




1.15hrs around the ring road. Lets give it 2.30hrs. I've done this route many times and although very busy never had any major problem...until today. As we approached I10 from the 610 ring road a warning sign...

"Entrance road to I10 closed due to major accident".

Oh Dear!!!

Louise was driving so I tried plan B. I won't bore you with the full story but the I290 we diverted onto was a building site (reminded me of England) with poor signs and we got hopelessly lost. I'd blown my chance of a Texas tick. I'd planned to make an attempt on Sunday but again the Houston traffic beat me. Guess it wasn't to be. We headed for the Texas Roadhouse as consolation. The best night out in Texas!

I drove the I45 back to Galveston. We were back at the Motel at 9.30pm. I've had more successful days...still fun though...sort of!? No species added!

Stay tuned...

No comments: