Sunday 28 January 2018

GLOSSY IBIS - Late result

Phil was in town today and he'd kindly offered to take me around the Patch. He set the itinerary as he was hoping for a few year ticks.

He'd started off at Bempton at first light but he was to report t was cold and windy so he didn't linger too long. He managed a few additions including Fulmar.

He arrived at Holmpton at 10.15am. I was just returning from filling Richard's feeders. I grabbed my gear and off we went. The weather was set fair with a moderate but thankfully mild wind. First stop was Easington were we soon connected with the long-staying Rose-coloured Starling. On to Sammy's to try for the elusive Ring Ouzel. No sign in a half-hour search.

After a brief stop at Skeffling were he added Reed Bunting and Red-legged Partridge we headed down to the Stone Creek/Sunk Island area hoping for Raptors and Owls. No luck. We worked our way back to Patrington and headed for Holmpton down Snakey lane. Not being on top form at the moment I hadn't realised my pager was on silent, luckily Phil had his phone info' and news came through of a late double at Kilnsea Wetlands.

Glossy Ibis and Green-winged Teal

The sun was dropping fast but we made it to the car park for 4.15pm. I shoe-horned myself out of the car while Phil gathered his stuff. I glanced over the wetlands and there in the distance was a slim, elongated dark shape...with a de-curved bill. Yep...GLOSSY IBIS heading towards the Humber over the Riverside Hotel. A large chunk of luck, I suggest. A quick shout to Phil allowed him to connect before it disappeared low over the Riverside Hotel. A great moment...and nice to share it. Phil "needed" the GWT but I was struggling now so I stayed n the car while he made his way around to the hide. On his return he informed me that he'd seen the bird and the chaps in the hide hadn't seen the GI depart.

A great end to the day...

No comments: