Friday 26 January 2018

NDC

Spent a VERY pleasant day at the old stomping ground...

View from Garganey hide
Never get tired of this view. Slightly disappointing was the realisation that the roof hasn't been repaired, hence wet seats etc. I managed to organise a dry spot and my assistant and I set about recording the birds...


The water was well and truly "on" now and the birds were settling in well. Bodes well for the rest of the winter. Great to see the signature species present for the first time. Three family groups of Whooper Swans were present numbering 17 birds.

An impressive number of birds was present in the stubble between the hides. Easily into three figures.
Linnets, Yellowhammers, Chaffinches, Goldfinches, Bullfinches, Tree Sparrows, Reed Buntings, Robins, Dunnocks, Wrens, Blackbirds, Redwings and Fieldfares.

As I was about to leave for the traditional chip butty in Selby at Mr C's (thoroughly recommended), a car pulled into the car park. It was Vince! I was hoping I might bump into him. We chatted for a while and my unfortunate Autumn incident came up.

After lunch I returned and we stayed until dusk. Just the tonic I needed. A male Stonechat was a nice surprise.

43 species seen...list on Bubo above.

No comments: