Monday 15 January 2018

Texas memories (2)

22nd April 2006

It was the last morning of my trip. My flight home was 3pm. Where to go?

I was based in Galveston at the Motel 6 (pre-Louise). A SULPHUR-BELLIED FLYCATCHER (31 records to date) had been reported at Sabine Woods. This plus the chance of another bucket full of summer plumage Warblers etc made the decision an easy one. A pre-dawn Ferry and a rip up the Bolivar Peninsular had me there at dawn.

I connected with the rarity within the first half-hour enjoying excellent views with the increasing number of other admirers. It was another beautiful Texas Spring morning and there were plenty of birds to admire. Around 10am I bumped into Martin Reid (an ex-pat from Watford) and his partner Sheridan Coffey. I'd birded with Martin before and it was great to see them both. We then noticed some birders striding with intent..."Cape May Warbler"

It's a late and scarce migrant through Texas, the majority of the birds travelling further east. This would have been an ABA/Texas double for me at the time. However. time was against me. I obviously wanted to see this bird and I set off to follow the crowd deep into the woods. I looked hard but by noon I hadn't connected. Alas, it was time to head for the airport. I said my goodbyes to Martin and Sheridan. Needless to say the bird showed well throughout the afternoon...and guess who still needs it for Texas!




No comments: