Wednesday 14 June 2017

Pyrenees 17 - Day 2. Valle d'Ossoue and Cirque du Gavarnie

Earlier start today as we headed way up to the far south of the valley. We arrived at the famed and very beautiful Valle d'Ossoue around 9.30. It was already hot (24c). I've convinced Louise to do an earlier start later but today was just a recce. I had some excellent information off Charles regarding a LAMMERGEIER nest site and I just wanted to see if I could locate it and get some decent views.

As we found the spot to park I could see a large crucifix shape drifting along the ridge!!!
After finishing fingers and thumbs mode I managed to grab a single record shot...


Not the best I know but it was way up and the heat haze was significant. At least I'd seen one. It eventually drifted off up the Valley and then landed in the nest hole...therefore confirming the site...which was handy! I gave it another 3 hours while Louise read her novel but it didn't re-appear. I did see another great bird though. I noticed something shoot out of a gorse bush near to where we were parked. It looked "interesting". However, I couldn't relocate it in a 30 minute search. Then I saw it again albeit distantly...

A superb male Red-backed Shrike
The weather was again very kind so I suggested to my new wife that we did the walk to the Cirque du Gavarnie. This is no pleasant stroll I can assure you, Especially at 28c but you do daft things on holiday...don't you?

The scenery, as you can imagine is spectacular...


No significant sightings were made on the ascent which was hardly surprising in the circumstances but we had a testing walk and a much needed drink at the Hotel. On the way down though I saw a bird that I hadn't seen well for quite some time...a Garden Warbler! I picked up the superb song and after a roasting scramble I managed a photo through the vegetation...


By the tme we reached the car park we were all in. We found a nice Pizza place and enjoyed the evening view, which wasn't at all bad...


Haute-Pyrenees LIFE 58

Trip 45

No comments: